This room has been named with a respectful nod to the outstanding beauty of the octagonal Chapter House of York Minster with its self-supporting medieval wooden roof, colourful and delicate stained glass, and curious gargoyles. Chapter houses evolved from the democratic governance of a monastery. A monastic assembly was called a chapter, and at York it was the canons who sat to discuss governance of the cathedral with some independence from the archbishop. An unexpected surprise to every visitor and worshipper at the Minster, be sure not to miss the gorgeous tiling, the gargoyle of Mary and Child that survived the destructive iconoclast hand of those tasked to oversee King Henry VIII’s Dissolution of the Monasteries, or the unusual interpretations of animals chiselled by the Yorkshire craftsmen of old. This annex to the cathedral began its construction in 1260 and provides an outstanding example of how stained glass would have looked when first completed in the late thirteenth century. More than half of the medieval glass that survives in England is to be found in the Minster, and in its Chapter House.
We have chosen Graham & Brown wallpaper and hues of pink and blue to present an airy and attractive room that we trust will please. Graham & Brown was established in England in 1946 when friends Harold Graham and Henry Brown had the vision to trigger a wallpaper revolution in the aftermath of the war. The company established a reputation for outstanding design and quality.
The art is Angel of the Resurrection (1904) by Louis Comfort Tiffany (1848-1933). An American artist famed for his stained glass designs, he is closely associated with the Art Nouveau and Aesthetic movements. Louis is the son of Charles Lewis Tiffany, who established the world renown jewellery company Tiffany & Co., and of which Louis became the first Design Director. Louis founded many corporations to satisfy the demand for his art glass, metalwork, pottery and furniture. The original of this piece is located in the Indianapolis Museum of Art.
The room is located on the second floor and is configured with a double bed. The room is triple glazed using the same supplier that the Minster has used throughout the ancient cathedral.